Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Lethal Injection

Damn… I’ve been studying and keeping my head in a book recently, avoiding the news. Partially, this is due to my brother’s deployment in Afghanistan. Sometimes it seems better to just not know. Eventually, like a rubbernecker near a train wreck, I started to read the news… Prepare yourself.

War…Obama becomes LBJ, adds 30,000 more troops, bringing us almost to the level of Russian forces in their oh-so-successful foray in Afghanistan. Wanna hear it from the horses mouth? That links to the Soviet commander of the Afghan War and his perspective. Iraq seethes under the surface, then explodes. 127 people today. I just got started and I’m almost choking on my tongue.

Environment…It get’s worse, Americans. The NY Times, in a rare occurrence of journalism, published a big feature on the water quality of America and the Environmental “Protection” Agency. It’s devastating. 20%, 1 in 5, municipal water systems have illegal concentrations of things like mercury, coal slurry…goddamn! Even right next door to people I love.

Deal, No Deal Barack has also said that he views climate change as a moral issue. But there will be no treaty in Copenhagen. Environmentalists…listen, when asked about the protests at the g20 in Pittsburgh, Obama replied thusly:

“You know, I think that many of the protests are just directed generically at capitalism. And they object to the existing global financial system. They object to free markets. One of the great things about the United States is, is that you can speak your mind and you can protest; that’s part of our tradition. But I fundamentally disagree with their view that the free market is the source of all ills.”

F&C responds to the Prez: I identify as an anarchist and I don’t blame capitalism for “all” ills. Capitalism has nothing to do with disease, except for profiting from it. Nothing to do with the human propensity for violence, except for profiting from it. It isn’t the source of all ills, its a catalyst for some very disturbing and planet ending behavior. I thought you were a lawyer? That’s a pretty crass generalization. The fact is, I think the things it can actually be blamed for are enough of a reason to destroy it. Fuck this plastic, bar-code future. Tell your girls to harden their hearts and learn to kill, cause there will be a Mad Max future if we hurtle down this path. The political expediency of your capitalism defense disgusts me and perhaps will be your legacy.

Perhaps protesters should put up banners with more nuance next time…

That could read: “No Bailout, No System of Exchange based on the exploitation of the earth and our fellow humans”

Jesus, Barack…we can’t get a good news story anyway, we might as well shoot ourselves in the foot. Ahh, the exercise of your right to meaninglessly assemble. Now since we’re not scared or pissed off enough…

Folks, I didn’t even get past war and the environment. Alas, but at least all the issues are basically the same in the end.

War/economics/politics/environment/your future is being decided.

Don’t sit on the sidelines,

Martin V.

[Via http://firmandcorrect.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment